Swell is seeking a talented leader motivated to work at the forefront of renewable energy finance. Swell provides innovative options for financing distributed energy resources aggregated as a Virtual Power Plant (VPP). This new asset class benefits energy customers, utilities, and investors.
In this role, your primary responsibilities will involve the development, implementation and monitoring of credit risk strategies, tools and capabilities to promote asset growth and minimize credit risk exposures. This includes developing analytics and reporting to assist in the management of all risks related to the portfolio of consumer financial products, development of credit loss forecasting and monitoring collection strategy performance.
This role will work closely with Engineering, Legal, Tax, Accounting, Credit, Channel, Sales, and Product groups.
We encourage you to join a team of energy and technology leaders at a time when we are growing rapidly to meet the needs of the utility grid of the future.
In this role, you drive performance and development of the credit function, including credit and asset management strategies for new and existing customer financing offerings, residential and small commercial distributed energy resources (DERs).
Ownership of Credit Strategy and Credit Operations
• Manage credit application process flow using Swell’s proprietary point-of-sale credit adjudication tools to underwrite credit efficiently and accurately
• Own implementation and evolution of credit policies and controls to reduce risk and support origination
• Build, maintain and improve credit loss forecasting tools and controls
• Provide accurate and timely data and fund-level reporting to investors, funding partners and senior management including professional board reporting quality presentation materials.
• Build, develop and lead the production of various reports and analytics to support on-going monitoring and optimization of our origination strategy
• Conduct proactive and ad hoc analysis to identify credit loss trends, industry performance and portfolio dynamics to enhance the business
• Monitor collection strategy performance and identify areas of opportunity
• Develop and maintain centralized reporting in collaboration with Finance, Operations and Business Development.
• Help ensure positive customer experience for customers seeking point-of-sale credit approval, and perform ongoing manual credit check for certain applicants
• Help ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory bodies and investor funds
• Build out a best-in-class credit and risk team
• Drive automation and efficiency across platform and processes
Conduit across Technical, Commercial and Corporate Teams
• Work seamlessly within a cross-functional environment, including with capital markets, channel management, credit, and operations teams
• Partner with the Engineering team based on your vision for the platform and understanding of the technical solution
• Partner with Asset Management and Capital Markets teams to determine investor requirements, around origination and servicing Standard Operating Procedures, contract and collateral management, reporting
• Partner with Swell’s customer-facing commercial teams to gather user requirements, prioritize opportunities and deliver a solution
• Partner with the FinCo Product team to define requirements for new product launches, including point-of-sale pricing mechanics, and customer process flow
• Partner with Legal and other corporate functions to ensure credit policies and processes are current and compliant
• Seven+ years of experience in banking, specialty finance, or financial technology environment, in a consumer credit or risk management role
• Deep experience with the end-to-end consumer credit origination
• Demonstrated ability to innovate the credit function, including implementing solutions using best-in-class technology
• Outstanding ability to drive problems into solutions efficiently, avoiding “spinning wheels” or “boiling the ocean”
• Experience managing a product function through launch and scale
• Strong communication skills, with the ability to articulate a vision for how financial technology can be implemented to accelerate the adoption of distributed energy resources
• Detail oriented capable of managing end-to-end process of product design and implementation
• Multi-tasker capable of managing a comprehensive execution plan to progressively scale the product in the market
• Team leadership, including ability to identify, recruit, coach and manage the next generation of organizational leaders
• Critical thinker able to navigate complexity and ambiguity
• Collaborative mindset and ability to partner with colleagues across a diverse organization
• Creative problem solver with the ability to prioritize resources towards the initiatives that bring the most value to the organization
• Impeccable judgement, character, and trustworthiness
• BA/BS degree with evidence of quantitative coursework such as finance, economics, engineering, or mathematics
Preferred but Not Required:
• Startup experience
• Consumer finance experience
• Renewable energy experience
• MBA or similar advanced degree
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, engineering, or similar
Compensation: $145,000- $175,000 annually
Swell Energy, Inc is an Equal Employment Opportunity
Swell Energy, Inc. does not discriminate based on the following categories: race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 years and over), sexual orientation, veteran and/or military status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and any other status protected by state or federal