Reporting to the Head of Commercial Solutions, the Director of C&I Business Development will leverage their established business and technical know-how of distributed renewable energy and smart grids, as well as existing industry relationships, to develop, promote and nurture focused business initiatives which drive the growth of Swell’s business in the Commercial and Industrial (C&I) sector.
● Research business models and opportunities in the behind the meter C&I renewable energy sector and develops high impact business initiatives to grow Swell’s C&I business. Considers specific C&I market sub-segments, regional opportunities, technology implications, partnership opportunities and detailed product offerings in order to develop high-impact business proposals in which Swell can excel.
● Develops and nurtures well thought out and actionable proposals for specific new business initiatives. Wins support from management and peers as needed; shepherds initiatives towards successful implementation.
● Reviews market, competitor and technology trends in distributed energy management and virtual power plants and identifies opportunities and threats to Swell’s business.
● Tracks regional trends in utility tariffs, incentives and other market factors which influence the opportunity for successful sales of Swell products to the C&I segment.
● Identifies and engages with third parties with emphasis on collaborative opportunities which can grow Swell’s business. Recommends and promotes new third party engagements and strategic partnerships to management for expansion of Swell’s products, services and business. Develops comprehensive actionable proposals.
● Fields incoming collaborative enquiries from third parties and evaluates and recommends on merits of engagement.
● Collaborates with legal and senior management to develop and execute MOUs and Definitive Agreements with strategic partners.
● Manages plans, timelines and deliverables of strategic collaborations. Coordinates and facilities hand-off to internal Swell development and operations teams, as needed.
● This is a remote work position with 10-15% travel required.
● 6-10 years business development experience with strong understanding of one or more of (i) renewable energy (ii) building energy management (iii) grid interactive energy storage (iv) microgrids (v) electric vehicle charging (vi) energy efficiency technologies. Highly conversant on applicable technologies and business models.
● Demonstrated track record of developing new business initiatives with a supporting business case and financial analysis.
● Solid understanding of the economics of C&I renewable energy projects with a working knowledge of applicable utility tariffs and incentives. Familiarity with project economic modeling tools such as Energy Toolbase is a plus.
● Minimum bachelor’s degree in business or technology. Masters degree preferred.
● Demonstrated track record in developing and executing successful Business Collaborations.
● A highly motivated team-player, with ability to work effectively in remote work setting.
● A self-starter with excellent communications skills.
● Experience with both Microsoft and Google Workspace tools
● Prior experience in a fast-growing, start-up environment preferred.
Compensation: $120k - $140k Annually +Bonus
Swell Energy, Inc is an Equal Employment Opportunity
Swell Energy, Inc. does not discriminate based on the following categories: race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 years and over), sexual orientation, veteran and/or military status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and any other status protected by state or federal law.